Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Nov 24 08:43:18 EST 2011

If everyone is of the view that <idno> and <ident> overlap, and the same
information belongs in one or the other depending on context, then I'll
abandon my attempt to clarify their definitions; it was based on a
misunderstanding. I'm with Laurent in believing that they are for
completely different purposes, but if Council believes they're not, then
we should deprecate one of them because the difference is pointless and
confusing. I thought I'd identified a useful distinction that justified
the existence of both, but if not, then I'll just close that ticket and
raise another suggesting that one be deprecated.

So can we have a show of hands: Who agrees with the following statement?

The same information can appear in both <idno> and <ident>, and the
decision as to which to use depends entirely upon context.

-1 from me.