[tei-council] signed/list

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Mon Nov 21 19:21:49 EST 2011

Of course the *other* inconsistency with <signed> is between the
prose definition ('closing salutation') and the scheme, which
allows it in both div.top and div.bottom. We followed the scheme
rather than the prose which (given the variety of epistolary
form, among other things) seemed the reasonable course. And it
allows us to break formulaic openers like these into <signed> and
<salute> blocks:

<OPENER>
<SIGNED>JAMES the Second, By the Grace of God, King of England, Scotland,
France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, &amp;c.</SIGNED>
<SALUTE>TO ALL and Singular Archbishops, Bishops, Archdeacons, Deans, and
their Officials, Parsons, Vicars, Curates, and all other Spiritual
Persons: And also to all Iustices of the Peace, Mayors, Sheriffs,
Bayliffs, Constables, Churchwardens, Chappelwardens, Headboroughs,
Collectors for the Poor, and their Overseers: And also to all Officers of
Cities, Boroughs, and Towns Corporate, and to all other Our Officers,
Ministers and Subjects whatsoever they be, as well within Liberties as
without, to whom these Presents shall come, Greeting.</SALUTE>
</OPENER>

pfs