[tei-council] signed/list

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Nov 20 13:14:32 EST 2011

On 11-11-20 04:03 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2011, at 19:17, Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>>   The question is whether you think<signed>  should contain one thing or
>> several -- is it meant to be a "signature block" or a signature? My
>> claim is that is not meant to be the former -- we already have<closer>
>> (or<list>  !) for that purpose.
>
> You won't mind me pointing out, I trust, that<list>  cannot occur
> amongst the piles of model.divBottom fluff occurring at the
> the end of divlike object...., nor can it occur inside<closer>.
> So once you have got started on the  model.divbottom component
> of<div>'s content model,<list>  is no longer an option.
>
> The more I look at all this,  it is<closer>  which is redundant -
> we have no examples in the Guidelines of it being
> conveying any useful information at all.

I find both <opener> and <closer> very useful, as ways of bracketing off
a lot of textual content that I might not be interested in when doing,
for instance, text analysis. If I was to pull out all the text written
by James Douglas in his despatches between 1854 and 1858, for instance,
to do something Hooverian with it, I typically want to ignore all the
formulaic salutes, address lines, signatures etc. that precede and
follow the meat of the despatch. <opener> and <closer> are very handy
for that.

On the other hand, if I want to look at the evolution of his salutations
over the same period, I can do that too.