[tei-council] signed/list

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 20 06:40:25 EST 2011

On 20 Nov 2011, at 07:31, stuart yeates wrote:

> On 20/11/11 08:02, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> One thing this discussion shows up is the varying views of what<list>
>> is. In some minds, it is a block-level object, and abusive
>> in a phrase-level context. In other minds, it is a typographic
>> feature used widely all over the place, even within phrases
>> (liked<signed>).
>
> The computer scientist in me is saying that this is a text-book case for
> parameterisation.

You're going to have to expand your gnomic thinking here for me. What
are you getting at?

> Do any of the extant schema languages have the ability to express
> something like "the <item> can contain anything that would be valid in
> place of the enclosing <list>"?

I would say not. the schema languages don't think in those abstract ways.

it would be a fun thing to express in ODD3. But can you give
a concrete example of where you'd use that facility?

--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente