[tei-council] signed/list

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 13:14:28 EST 2011

Looking at the examples of <signed> in the Glines, they seem a bit
uncertain as to whether the <signed> is meant to include
-- just the name of the person signing
-- the formulaic phrase forming part of it
-- both things together

For example

</signed>

is inconsistent with

  <salute>Sincerely yours,</salute>
   <signed>Seymour</signed>

or

<closer>
   <salute>Yours more than my own,</salute>
   <signed>Clarissa Harlowe</signed>
  </closer>

Since there are more of the latter than the former, I think the former
should be corrected to match. Which in turn means that I would much
rather see the content of <signed> narrowed down to include only
model.nameLike vel sim., and this example tagged as follows

  <closer>
Sign'd and Seal'd,
</closer>

promoting <signed> to be a chunk container rather than a phrase level
element is playing too fast and loose with the TEI semantic model.

(BTW, I think the reason it's called <signed> rather than <signature> is
to avoid confusion with <signatures> which is something else again)