[tei-council] TEI wiki (was: Assistant Webmaster)

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Fri Nov 18 09:11:30 EST 2011

Congrats, Kevin!

Let me take this opportunity to mention that since the end of our
meeting, there have been nearly 70 registrations of automated spamming
accounts. Since the end, mind you -- since the beginning: 90.
I do not have access to the registration log (it could be accessed via
an extension in the current wiki, or via internal functionality that was
introduced in v. 1.14), but we can all well imagine that the number of
real registrations during this time was very close to 0.

So here's a few links that may make the process of wiki maintenance
easier to our Webmasters:

Our version number: 1.11.0 (from 2007, I'm guessing)

http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Special:Version

Current version number: 1.18.0rc1

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

(a lot of improvements appeared there in the meantime, see also:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading )

Relevant extensions:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit
(we have the latter but will surely need to upgrade)

potentially: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UserAdmin
(to be able to purge all those thousands of false accounts)

possibly:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:User_Merge_and_Delete
(for user merging -- there are several real duplicate accounts now; this
is not painful)

surely:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi
(this is used by the English Wikipedia, so I would go for it)

HTH,

  Piotr