[tei-council] surfaces, surfaceGrps, etc. [was : minutes/release deadline]

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 13 15:35:05 EST 2011

On 13/11/11 16:15, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I think my problem is that I don't understand how you thought nested<surface>  was ever going
> to work. In the given example:
>
> <surface>
>     <zone>
>        <line>Poem</line>
>        <line>As in Visions of — at</line>
>        <line>night —</line>
>        <line>All sorts of fancies running through</line>
>        <line>the head</line>
>     </zone>
>     <surface type="newsprint" binder="glue" flipping="false">
> 			<zone>Spring has
>        just set in here, and the weather.... a
> 			   steamer</zone>
>
> there are no coordinates, but we can imagine that the outer surface might have had
> 0,0,100,100 and the<zone>  with the<line>s might have 10,10,23,42. But
> how were we ever going to know where the inner surface _is_? it is all very
> well to say you want that<surface>  to have a grid of 0,0,10,10, and then talk
> about the Spring<zone>  within it, but we have no means of anchoring this
> surface relative to the outer one.

We do, if we accept that the attributes have different meanings. Here's
the same example with some co-ords.

<surface ulx="0" uly="0" lrx="200" lry="270">
  >     <zone ulx="10" uly="10" lrx="100" lry="180">
  >        <line>Poem</line>
  >        <line>As in Visions of — at</line>
  >        <line>night —</line>
  >        <line>All sorts of fancies running through</line>
  >        <line>the head</line>
  >     </zone>
  >     <surface type="newsprint" binder="glue" flipping="false"
	ulx="50" uly="130" lrx="150" lry="220">

              <zone ulx="50" uly="130" lrx="150" lry="220">
                Spring has just set in here, and the weather.... a
   			   steamer</zone>
           </surface>
     </surface>

This defines a coordinate space (0,0,200,270) on the outer surface, and
then a zone. and a nested surface containing a zone, all (ex hypothese)
within the same space. The positions and sizes *in that coordinate
system* for all of them are explicit.

The problem which is worrying me, and possibly also Sebastian, is that I
have no way of distinguishing this case from the less likely but not
impossible case where the coordinates given for the inner nested surface
are actually defining a completely new coordinate system.

> This _could_ all work if we had _two_ sets of coordinates, one to
> declare oneself relative to the outer<surface>, and one to
> set a new new coordinate system relative to the outer one, but I really
> cannot see how you can work with one set of coordinates.

A new coord system isn't *relative* to the outer one, methinks. It's
just new.

Lou's
> notion that you have a switch which flips between the two uses of coordinates
> cannot fly, because you need both.

Well, the recognition that we need both possible semantics is why I say
we need some way of indicating which applies in a given case. I can't
see that it would ever make sense to want both cases to apply for a
single instance!

If you don't like the idea of an attribute (I don't much) I have three
other suggestions:

1. Enforce somehow a rule which says that you can only have one coord
system in a given hierarchy of surfaces, and it is the one given by the
element at the root of that hierarchy (which will be either a surface or
a surfaceGrp or conceivably a sourceDoc). This involves no change to the
existing schema, but does require some careful rewriting and some
special case rules.

2. Introduce a new element <coords> which sits anywhere within the
hierarchy and defines the coordinate system for all of its children.

3. Introduce a new attribute @coords for <surface> or <surfaceGrp> which
defines the coordinate system for all of its children. Cannot co-exist
with either the ulx, urx etc. quartet, or the @points.

I think all of these are less ugly than sin. Any preferences? Any
alternatives.

One other thought about all this -- might it be worth sounding out the
person responsible for much of our current thinking on this topic, i.e.
Conal, as to how he rates our development of it ?