[tei-council] P5 use of rend in examples

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 13 12:27:50 EST 2011

On 13/11/11 18:10, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2011, at 17:02, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>
>> As Syd replied to you when we discussed this months ago:
>>
>>> Hogwash!
>
> He was right to say that about my claim that the order of tokens is unordered; which means that
> your usage will work, if the processor knows what is to happen. I just think its Wrong :-}
>
> But I may well be in a minority of one here. Anyone else have a view on the subject?

Nope, I agree entirely with you here. One of the points of the war on
text-bearing attributes was to stop this kind of thing.  While it is
true that the order of data.word+ is significant and important they are
meant to be individual tokens that do not necessarily have any relation
to each other.

We should have no attributes that are considered as containing 'free
text' that way lies madness, inconsistency, and heartache. If we are
saying that individual data.word tokens somehow relate to each other in
as linear sequence of words then we are undoing the benefits of having
datatypes.

rend="red bold italic" is fine in my mind.
rend="color:red font-weight:bold font-style:italic" is also fine.
rend="color is red ;font weight is bold; font style is italic;" is evil
and wrong IMHO.

The TEI In Libraries example using spaces is somewhere between the
second and the third of these.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,