[tei-council] P5 use of rend in examples

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 13 11:34:14 EST 2011

On 12 Nov 2011, at 22:29, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> the examples should be
> consistent when such use is incidental rather than central to the
> current discussion at hand.

Yes, a nice statement of principle for people writing Guidelines examples.
Limit the amount of variability if its not needed in that context.

> http://www.tei-c.org/SIG/Libraries/teiinlibraries/main-driver.html#index.xml-body.1_div.3_div.8_div.4
>
> You'll see that we leave spaces in our attribute values to make them
> more readable.

I have said it before, but I say it again, I think this is Wrong Wrong Wrong. @rend is defined
as an unbounded set of whitespace-separated tokens.  Usage like "font-style: italic", using two tokens
which must (implicitly) be conjoined to make up the desired effect, is simply abuse in
my interpretation of @rend. I regard it as saying "you can describe the look of this beast
using as many words as you like from a vocabulary", not "write a sentence describing the look,
using the vocabulary".  As a processor of this stuff, how do I reconcile <hi rend="font-style: italic">
with <hi rend="bold underlined red">?

I don't suppose I will make you and Syd change your minds, however :-}

Depressingly, the Guidelines say "Although the contents of the <att>rend</att> attribute are free
text", which is not technically true  - it is

<datatype maxOccurs="unbounded">
        <ref name="data.word"/>
</datatype>
--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente