[tei-council] surfaces, surfaceGrps, etc. [was : minutes/release deadline]

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 12 12:48:15 EST 2011

I am happy with the revised version below for inclusion in the minutes,
and it doesn't contradict my revised version of the chapter (yet!).

However, on second (or third) thoughts, I still don't think it's
actually entirely right.

Bear with me as I try to re-express what I think to be the case. (If
you've had enough on the subject of <surface>s, stop reading now because
this is going to be Long, and may make your head hurt)

In the simplest case, you have one <surface> and it defines a
co-ordinate system -- four numbers -- which can be used to define the
positions and size of other things relative to that surface, e.g. nested
zones, or nested surfaces. The coordinates may or may not correspond to
the dimensions of  the real world object whose surface is being encoded.
The other things may or may not be contained within the rectangle which
the coordinate system also expresses.

Now suppose you have two surfaces, which represent the recto and verso
of a leaf. Clearly these are the same size, but it doesn't necessarily
follow that the coordinate system you use has to be the same for both of
them. You might use a fine grid (i.e. one allowing more values between
its two co-ordinate pairs)  for a surface with many zones on it. You
might use a very simple grid indeed for a blank surface. So we want the
ability to specify the co-ordinate system independently for sibling
surfaces.

When I process the @ulx, @uly etc. values for a <zone> I know that they
are defined relative to their parent zone, so I know how to map them.
Things get complicated when  -- following our decision to use <surface>
*also* for patches -- I find @ulx @uly etc values on a *nested* surface.
Are these values also to be interpreted with reference to their parent
<surface>? I think, probably, yes, most of the time. But I bet someone
will say "no, they define a NEW coordinate system", and the confusion is
not helped by the fact that we have the same set of attributes meaning
something quite different.

If you agree with me, however, let's now try to see how <surfaceGrp>
helps, or doesn't. As currently defined, this new element allows me to
say anything I like about groups of surface. In the Paris meeting, I
suggested it would be most useful for expressing that two <surface>s are
encoding the recto and verso of the same leaf. You could also use it to
express that your two surfaces encode the left and right side of a
opening, if you think openings are more interesting than leaves. And you
could use it to encode a gathering of leaves because it can self nest.

<surfaceGrp type="gathering">
<surfaceGrp type="leaf">
<surface type="recto" ulx="0" uly="0" urx="100" ury="100"/>
<surface type="verso" ulx="0" uly="0" urx="100" ury="100"/>
</surfaceGrp>
<!-- and so on for the rest of the gathering -->
</surfaceGrp>

<!-- next gathering here... -->

This is starting to look rather useful... but why oh why oh why can't I
set a default value for those @ulx etc. coordinates rather than have to
repeat them over and over again for every surface?

I know that this system is generic, and is designed to cope with
non-codex like objects, or codex-like objects in which surfaces are very
heterogenous. But it will also be used for Plain Old Ordinary codexes
won't it? In which case it would be nice to say -- every surface in this
thing uses the same coordinate space, and here it is, on the outermost
<surfaceGrp>. Or to have some way of saying "this surface is a rogue one
that defines its own coordinate system".

In any case,  we need to find a water tight way of knowing whether a set
of coordinates is to be understood as  "relative" or as defining a new
coordinate system. Maybe another attribute ("base"?) is needed?

Lou