[tei-council] Fwd: [basex-talk] BaseX 7.0.2: 11-11-11 Edition

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Fri Nov 11 13:39:00 EST 2011

Hi Council,

At some point during the meeting, in the evening or at lunch, we had a
short conversation about BaseX and eXist, with the overall sentiment
that I seemed to detect being that only eXist counts for heavy-duty use,
while BaseX is a tool of a different profile (Martin's words, I
believe). Because I have met with a completely opposite opinion on the
scalability and efficiency of the two, and it came from more than one
source and from people who are not new to this (no no, not BaseX
developers), and because one of the arguments in our conversation seemed
to be that eXist supports XQuery 3.0 while BaseX does not, I started
wondering how much of this opinion is PR-based, in the sense that when
one tool works well, there is no need to try another and it's easy to
assume things about that other one, because there's never enough time to
test.

So just for your information, here's a brief description of the latest
version of BaseX that I've just received. It doesn't contain any link,
so here it goes: http://basex.org/. (There's a personal agenda here,
too: I intend to use BaseX for two new projects, so apart from adding to
that past conversation, I am also probing for comments or criticism,
especially that it seems like it won't be biased *towards* the tool, and
it's good to look at both ends).

Thanks,

  Piotr