[tei-council] minutes/release deadline

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Fri Nov 11 09:46:05 EST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 4:41 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:

> * is there a deadline for publishing the minutes to e.g. the tei-c site,
> or will they remain at the wiki? Or is there a deadline for some
> official announcement of their existence?

Council minutes have in the past always been posted to http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/index.xml. In principle there's no reason additions to that list could not point to a page on the TEI wiki instead of to a static XML file. But that would be establishing a significantly new precedent.

Offhand, here are the advantages and disadvantages I can see for moving Council minutes to the Wiki:

PRO:

- Speeds up the process of moving from draft to corrections to publication
- Easier to edit, requires only TEI wiki account and basic knowledge of wiki syntax, no need to convert the final form to TEI

CON:

- Search queries on tei-c.org apparently do not return TEI wiki pages (is this something that can be adjusted via Google settings?)
- Sends possibly the wrong message about the utility of TEI markup?
- Some increased security risk, easier for someone with evil intentions to vandalize the page

David