[tei-council] @source and @version for versioning an ODD

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 6 08:35:07 EST 2011

On 6 Nov 2011, at 13:25, Lou Burnard wrote:

> Meanwhile, and more urgently, since we are currently on 1.9.something,
> the question I would like Council to express a view on is is the following:
>
> *Will the next release be 1.10.1, or 2.1.1 *?
>
> If not the latter, when will we ever get beyond 1.something?

conventionally, we'd go to 2.n.n when we made a major interesting
change. so far, the rule has been

  * go to x.y. z + 1  when the change does not affect the schema
  * go to x.y+ 1.0 when the change makes the schema different

and most releases _have_ changed the schema, so we are up to 1.9.
so I'd say

   *go to x + 1.0.0 when the changes add serious new functionality

On which grounds I'd argue that the genetic stuff warrants a change
to 2.0.0 (not 2.1.1 - we are nerds, remember).
--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente