[tei-council] @source and @version for versioning an ODD

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 6 08:25:05 EST 2011

Let me try to clarify the confusion that seems to underly this thread.

Firstly on @version versus @source : these attributes serve different
though related purposes, and are provided by two different classes.

Members of att.translatable (as the name suggests) are low level text
containing elements within a spec which contain text that has been or
might be translated. The purpose of the attribute is to specify the
version of P5 which was current when that translation was effectuated.

Members of att.readFrom however are specification elements like
<schemaSpec> or <elementSpec>. The purpose of the @source attribute is
to specify the version of P5 in which the specification is to be found
(or, more exactly, in the case of schemaSpec, from which by default its
child specification elements are to be found.

Secondly, the *value* of both attributes is declared as a specific
datatype, conforming to some standard or other (cant remember which)
used to indicate a version number of three digits.

We agreed last time round that the version number was understood to
apply to P5, and that's what the Guidelines currently say. So when we
get to P6 we will start again at 1.0.0 (I assume), if we live that long.

Meanwhile, and more urgently, since we are currently on 1.9.something,
the question I would like Council to express a view on is is the following:

*Will the next release be 1.10.1, or 2.1.1 *?

If not the latter, when will we ever get beyond 1.something?