[tei-council] @dur seems to be unavailable

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 18:39:55 EDT 2011

On 03/11/11 22:30, Martin Holmes wrote:
> I should have seen this:
>
> <classSpec xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0" module="spoken"
> predeclare="true" type="atts" ident="att.duration">
>
> But I was led astray by the Guidelines, which say:
>
> data.duration.w3c
> Module	tei — 1 The TEI Infrastructure

it's a bit tricksy ... the class has to be predeclared (but without any
value) so that it can be referenced from other classes. DTDs. Don't ask.

> In any case, this _has_ to be the wrong place for duration.

I beg to differ.

In this
> case, I need duration for specifying the relative timing of fictional
> events which have no specific real date or time;

In which case you don't want @dur ! you want something else.

I need none of the
> elements in spoken at all, and I've excluded them all. It seems silly to
> be forced to include a module when you don't want any of its elements.
>
> I think duration should be pulled in automatically by namesdates as well
> as by spoken. I'm not sure of the mechanism for doing this, though.
> Should I put in a ticket for this?

Certainly (tho right now I'd be happier to see some tickets being closed
rather than more added). It would be useful if you could explain the use
case more clearly. @dur is for timed events, and the only module we have
in which timed events occur is spoken.

By the way, I vaguely recall that if you use iso dates rather than w3c
dates, you get duration included as part of the representation for
date/time for free. But maybe that's not what you wanted.