[tei-council] Budget and Cost Saving for next year

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Wed Nov 2 14:29:07 EDT 2011

Well, yes, James, you've repeated the essence of a part of my message
that you do not quote below ;-)

Yep, it's used as notation, sometimes probably abused as notation (as is
the case with 'true' XPointer). The functionality is needed, the
question is whether parsing TEI XPointer notation by hand is as
effective as parsing parts of it nicely distributed among specialized
attributes (in other words, whether you really want to parse attribute
content when you can just parse XML). I don't know. One thing I don't
know is whether it would be realistic to try to replace the TEI XPointer
notation with a bunch of attributes. Never tried that, except for simple
cases such as @from and @to, which, I'd say, has a certain simplistic
charm to it.

The existence of a generally-deployable tool that would parse this
notation natively would certainly enhance its value and broaden its user
base.

  P.