[tei-council] Budget and Cost Saving for next year

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 14:15:09 EDT 2011

I don't buy that XPointer is not being implemented. You guys are
thinking of standardised general-purpose implementations, but I
suspect that people have implemented bespoke single-use aspects
of it for individual projects.  So what I mean is that they've
used the documented TEI XPointer syntax to record information in
a standard way, and then processed it themselves in whatever
processing stream using the very limited use-cases they have.
Just because there isn't a wonderful all singing all dancing
implementation of the whole thing out there doesn't mean that
people aren't using the the notation to record the information
and doesn't mean we should just get rid of it. (I mean we only
added it in P5...) This means that hopefully their information
will make sense in the future (regardless of whether a useful
implementation exists).

I used string-range() once and processed it just natively in XSLT
(which really isn't that hard to do with substring() for the use
I had.

That said, if there was an XSLT2 library or a libxml
implementation of this, I would certainly use it.

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,