[tei-council] layers again

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 15 10:18:44 EDT 2011

On 15/10/11 13:03, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> Lou replied to me but surely meant to copy all of you.  So I'll do so in
> my reply ...
>
> On 10/15/11 6:19 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:

>>> I believe this is supposed to be "change the content model of<creation>
>>> to include<revisionDesc>".
>>
>> Your belief is correct. Apologies!
>
> So here's what I don't like about it.  Until this moment I had thought
> of the profileDesc as describing the TEI document, not the source
> document.  Indeed, Wendell Piez, sitting next to me right now, agrees.
> But when I read section 2.4, and the examples given with the definition
> of<creation>, it seems that parts of the profileDesc actually describe
> the source document.  This is all ontologically problematic.  Maybe we
> don't want to deal with this larger problem right now, but at least I
> want to make sure we're aware of this ambiguity.

I'm not sure what the problem or ambiguity is. That you and Wendell
should independently (I assume) have reached a wrong conclusion about
this particular aspect of the semantics of some Header elements is of
course a matter of concern, so if you can point to any text which led
you to that conclusion we should certainly try to correct it. The
profileDesc was originally conceived as a kind of catch all for all
sorts of non-bibliographic aspects relating to the source, hence the
presence of both text classification and creation info here.

>>> Which element(s) would this new attribute be available on?
>>>

>> in the current draft, it is global
>
> Huh.  I have trouble envisioning a use for it on various elements --
> teiHeader, textClass, interpGrp to name just a few -- but I suppose
> making it global is easier to implement.  But could this attribute be
> added to global attributes only in a module for the purposes of genetic
> editing, not in the base module?

Yes, definitely. In fact in the ODD I am currently failing to get to
work, the @change attribute is supplied by a distinct attribute class,
so we can argue later about which elements should be in it!