[tei-council] layers again

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sat Oct 15 08:03:23 EDT 2011

Lou replied to me but surely meant to copy all of you.  So I'll do so in
my reply ...

On 10/15/11 6:19 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 15/10/11 11:17, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>
> On 10/15/11 6:09 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
>>> b) change the content model of<profile> to include<revisionDesc>
>>
>> I believe this is supposed to be "change the content model of<creation>
>> to include<revisionDesc>".
>
> Your belief is correct. Apologies!

So here's what I don't like about it.  Until this moment I had thought
of the profileDesc as describing the TEI document, not the source
document.  Indeed, Wendell Piez, sitting next to me right now, agrees.
But when I read section 2.4, and the examples given with the definition
of <creation>, it seems that parts of the profileDesc actually describe
the source document.  This is all ontologically problematic.  Maybe we
don't want to deal with this larger problem right now, but at least I
want to make sure we're aware of this ambiguity.

>>> c) add a new @change attribute, which can point to a<change> element
>>
>> Which element(s) would this new attribute be available on?
>>

> in the current draft, it is global

Huh.  I have trouble envisioning a use for it on various elements --
teiHeader, textClass, interpGrp to name just a few -- but I suppose
making it global is easier to implement.  But could this attribute be
added to global attributes only in a module for the purposes of genetic
editing, not in the base module?