[tei-council] agenda items

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 07:03:11 EDT 2011

On 2011-10-04 10:41, Lou Burnard wrote:
>>       * all the small changes needed to bring Epidoc  fully conformant
>
> this is an ongoing process I believe!

Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive about this formulation, but technically
EpiDoc has been "fully conformant" for a couple of years now, since we
first generated a P5 version of our schema which was, and has always
since been, a clean subset of tei-p5-all.

There is an ongoing effort, however, to make sure our usage is 100%
conformant, which is somewhere in between what (a) a project goes
through in negotiation with the TEI, and (b) what TEI goes through in
negotiation with its community. In other words, the users of various
EpiDoc projects come to us (EpiDoc) with requests for advice and/or
changes to the schema, and we first try to persuade them to use the
schema as is. In some cases, where they have a use-case that we don't
currently cater for, we (EpiDoc) go to the TEI and try to make the case
that we need to cater for this. Obviously then we (TEI) try to persuade
us (EpiDoc) to use the schema as is...

This may be more that we need to know for the Council report, but that's
my view of things. Does that fit with what you were thinking,
Stormageddon and Lou?

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL