[tei-council] Licensing - ballot

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 1 06:30:08 EDT 2011

On 1 Oct 2011, at 11:16, Piotr Bański wrote:

> If this logic is followed closely, then any piece of code, whether C or
> assembler, is also documentation. I admit I don't share this view. I
> believe our XSLT/XProc code is software. And HTML is clearly
> documentation.

is it? if we rewrite Roma in HTML5 with lots of javascript doing the grunt work,
what I'll ship you is roma.html, but plainly its an app.

> The question is, what are schemas, and what is ODD.

one definition is that software (BSD) is what computers read,
and documents (CC) are what humans read.  But then what
is data, like a stream of RDF?

it may be more productive to write some code to calculate
how many angels we could fit on a pin head than debate this
for ever. The dual-licensing model takes the onus of deciding
off our backs.

--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente