[tei-council] Fwd: kibitzing

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 29 13:37:28 EDT 2011

Did we decide against multi-licensing? (I've lost track of the early
parts of this discussion.)

If there's no problem with licensing a text under both CC and BSD (say),
which would allow a potential re-user to choose under which license she
wants to re-use it, couldn't we just license the whole shebang under all
three licenses (LGPL, BSD, CC), and say somewhere explicitly in text
that people who want to re-use text or data-like things should use one
of the appropriate licenses (or just CC), and those who want to use the
code and software-like things should use the appropriate licenses (or
just BSD, although we've now let LGPL a bit out of the bag, no?).

This means that someone who is using one of our outputs that is
somewhere in the grey area, where Lou, for example thinks it is source
code (and therefore software) and I think it is source (and therefore
data), can decide what sort of re-use they're going to make of it and
therefore which license is appropriate to them. (I think I agree with
Piotr that most things, even if they are in a shade of grey, can be
agreed to be either more like text/data or more like code/software.)

Did we have a compelling argument against multi-licensing like this?

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL