[tei-council] TEI Licensing

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Sep 29 10:54:03 EDT 2011

On 11-09-28 09:20 PM, John Unsworth wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just want to say, on this score, that I faxed an LGPL agreement to
> George Bina today, covering the TEI schemas that are distributed with
> Oxygen.
>
> That doesn't mean that LGPL applies in other situations, but I did
> want to let the Council and Board know that this particular case has
> been moved forward.  And for what it's worth, I think there should be
> one licensing scheme for all the TEI IP.

I agree. I think the boundaries between documentation and software are
impossible to draw in the case of the TEI ecosystem.

>  I'd favor LGPL.

I still think BSD 2-clause is the best option. LGPL has annoyed me too
many times by forcing me to structure my software projects ways that
were inefficient and clumsy.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)