[tei-council] empty elements revisited

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 13:16:08 EDT 2011

A couple years ago we had a discussion about adding certainty and
precision to model.glossLike, so that empty elements such as gap and
space could take these as children, and so take advantage of the use of
relative XPath in @match. (Discussion was here:
http://purl.org/TEI/FR/2862151 --we agreed also to allow glossLike
inside space.)

At the time, although not, I see, in the ticket, I also argued for
glossLike to be allowed inside milestoneLike elements such as tei:lb,
but I guess I didn't convince anybody, perhaps because I didn't have a
compelling use-case to hand.

I now do.

We want to be able to express low certainty about a line-break, and
there are, of course, many aspects of the lb element and it's attributes
about which we might be less certain. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able
to do the following:

All perfectly canonical, except that tei:lb can't contain glossLike
elements. Would anyone be offended by this suggestion (or have other
ways of encoding this information that make my proposal redundant)?

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL