[tei-council] support for P4

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Sep 26 13:02:03 EDT 2011

P6 is a topic of discussion both among us and in the broader community;
even if people are only saying "I don't want to talk or think about P6
at all", they're still expressing an opinion about it.

Personally I think our attitude to P6 governs pretty much everything
from here on. If we decide P6 is basically off the table for the
foreseeable future, we're basically saying that there will be fairly
major structural changes in P5, because P5 will have to accommodate
everything new and different people want to do; if we accept that P6 is
in our future, and start working on it, then P5 can remain much more
stable, in a kind of "maintenance mode", while serious changes can be
addressed in the context of a complete re-think.

Personally, I like the latter option, but I suspect I'm in a minority.
There are so many things about P5 that seem to me to be basically
unfixable (such as the "50-ways-to-do-the-same-thing" problem). I'd
really like to be able to start imagining something better.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)