[tei-council] repeating and typing tei:provenance

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 09:39:05 EDT 2011

To answer your second point first: I would certainly never change the
schema in a way that rendered guidance wrong without fixing the latter
too. In this case, I think, the changes to the guidelines are
independent of the small schema change I proposed. (I wasn't proposing
to close the ticket, in any case.)

Does anyone have feelings about how to change the examples involving
provenance? New examples? Changing the current ones to multiple (typed)
provenances? Any prose need adding too?

To answer your first point second: I can see the attraction of a more
semantic attribute including the concept of event, but I still prefer
att.typed for two reasons: (1) I'd see the typing of provenance elements
in parallel to the typing of origPlace elements, and using the same
attributes for both would make sense; (2) we would like to use these
attributes (in both cases) with controlled values for @type, to
encourage interoperability within a family of projects, and free text
for @subtype, to allow greater expressiveness for individual projects.

For that matter, do we mind if people use @type for different kinds of
typology on provenance, so long as they don't by doing so neglect other
attributes that are more appropriate (@cert for reliability, @resp for
authority, @when etc. for temporal details, etc.)? If we give the
example of using @type/@subtype for types of provenance event (or more
properly states between events), that should be the default usage anyway.

In fact, I'd probably go so far as to argue for the inclusion of
@subtype even if Council consensus prefers Lou's suggestion of @eventType.

Email: gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)20 7848 1388