[tei-council] P5 1.10?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 16:18:14 EDT 2011

On 13/09/11 13:07, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2011, at 11:43, Piotr Bański wrote:
>
>> The Council meeting is going to fix some problems and introduce some new
>> functionality. It would be sad to have to wait until the next release
>> for these fixes/additions to surface officially. A release in November
>> could be the way out, with the TEI-MM devoted to gathering feedback for
>> Council work.
>

> We can make releases whenever we like, of course.
>
> The situation I want to avoid is that we delay accepting the revised genetic stuff until
> the meeting in November, spend another day on it there, and then it does not
> reach the users until January 2012….
> --

It rather depends what you mean by "reach" It would be a bad idea for
this "stuff" to be included in P5 in a shape that most of its likely
users would consider totally wrong. We should not rush into print with
it until it has been properly reviewed by experts in the domain. Brett
has indicated in several postings that he has problems with some parts
of the current draft, and is waiting for further comment from Elena.

I think it needs to be looked at *as a discussion draft* by the
community generally. I am just not sure how we go about doing that,
given the apparent reluctance of the Council to advertise existence of
the draft until we' ve reached consensus on every detail of it. Which
past experience suggests is not going to happen this side of Xmas.

By the way, I believe Council has already *accepted* the draft in
principle -- we're just niggling about what to call the blasted tags,
which ones we really think are useful, and how to organise the content
of the elephant.