[tei-council] Fwd: TEI licensing issues

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Sep 13 12:27:31 EDT 2011

On 11-09-13 05:45 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:
> On 13/09/11 14:26, Laurent Romary wrote:
>> OK. What I meant is that, if I have understood the situation correctly, it was not necessarily planned to have this GPL constraints on some of our TEI productions.
>
> The description of what you call GPL constraints as "viral" comes, as
> far as I barely recall, from some Microsoft spokesman. He was very
> successful -- this is a strong meme, people catch it unawares. It's very
> cunning: it reverses the imagery, from a means to keep stuff free to a
> picture where that strategy acquires evil/dangerous connotations, and of
> course the meme cleverly plays on the right to possess and to draw
> income, although the license actually doesn't prevent either.

I don't think I'd quite agree with that. I've been involved in
commercial software development for many years, and I've come to dislike
the GPL; it's generally very difficult to use GPL code in a commercial
project without having to make your own commercial source code public as
well, and that acts as a serious deterrent to commercial software
development. The LGPL is slightly better, but even that involves lots of
compromises and can often force you to restructure your application so
that compiled libraries are kept separate and linked at run-time rather
than compile-time.

The GPL encodes an ideological stance which is strongly opposed to
anyone keeping source code secret. Most commercial software developers
feel that they must keep at least some of their source code secret,
otherwise their software will be recompiled and released for free by
hackers or competitors.

I understand the motivation behind the GPL, but I think on balance its
effects on innovation and openness are actually negative. I much prefer
licenses like MPL and BSD which don't really attempt to control what
people do with the source code.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)