[tei-council] Fwd: TEI licensing issues

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 14:23:03 EDT 2011

I'm a bit afraid that giving up copyright (that's what public domain
means) would invite abuse, and I'm not convinced that the TEI is widely
known everywhere.

I am inclined to agree. Going CC0 seems a bit far. But I would not resist if the tei goes this way.

And one more issue, pretty grim, is that relicensing appears to require
agreement of the contributors, who contributed under a different license
In this case we are ok, as the contributors gave their copyright to the Consortium.
Well, thats the theory, let's not wake sleeping dogs.

Thirdly, GNU GPL is a good and widely supported license, it would be a
pity to give it up.

That's not much of argument is it? The question is whether 10 years later we believe in the same arguments as to it being the right license.

Sebastian