[tei-council] Fwd: TEI licensing issues

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Mon Sep 12 14:02:40 EDT 2011

Hi Martin,

I'm a bit afraid that giving up copyright (that's what public domain
means) would invite abuse, and I'm not convinced that the TEI is widely
known everywhere. For example, looking at mine and related work on
applying TEI to linguistic markup (and yes, I am aware of the roots and
the history of the TEI), I recall the results of the survey that Damir
Ćavar did before his panel presentation at the last TEI-MM, where he
quoted language-technology people going "TEI? Does that still exist?!".
Andreas Witt has recently experienced this too. I wish that this is
going to change, but so far, the picture of the TEI being a giant beyond
abuse is well, just a picture :-)

And one more issue, pretty grim, is that relicensing appears to require
agreement of the contributors, who contributed under a different
license. XEmacs practically died from that.

Thirdly, GNU GPL is a good and widely supported license, it would be a
pity to give it up.

Best,

  P.