[tei-council] Genetic Proposals

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Sep 6 11:06:43 EDT 2011

On 11-09-06 06:04 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> It would ne nice if one or other of you cd explain exactly what you have
> in mind as the content model for sourcedoc

You're not going to like this, but I think the definition of surfaces
and zones (including linking to graphics and defining coordinates)
should take place in <facsimile>, where it does now, and the contents of
<sourceDoc> (such as <block>, if that's what it ends up being called)
should point at <surface>s and <zone>s in the established way. This means:

  - The physical object is set up (in terms of graphics being linked,
and <zone>s specified) in <facsimile>.

  - The transcriptional content (<changeSet>s, <block>s etc.) happens in
<sourceDoc>; any of these elements can be linked to <zone>s and
<surface>s using @facs and @corresp.

  - A more conventional <text> can also be supplied, and linked to the
same <surface>s and <zone>s if required.

This avoids the problem of <zone> having two distinct usages (one for
specifying coordinates, one for containing transcription).

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)