[tei-council] genetic draft -- from Brett, pt. 4

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 10:16:15 EDT 2011

On 01/09/11 11:12, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:

> "This may be a sheet of paper, one face of a monument, a billboard, a
> papyrus scroll, or indeed any 2-dimensional surface." To my
> (science-based) eye, these are all "flat" surfaces rather than
> "2-dimensional" surfaces, which only exist in abstraction.

I take the point, but "flat" isn't quite right either. That would seem
to preclude not only  a bumpy piece of parchment, but (say) an
impression from a seal, or a projection of the whole surface of an
inscribed 3d object such as a vase. The <surface> itself must be 2d of
course.

> In the table for att.global, on my firefox there is textual overlap
> between "@xml:space" and it's definition.

formatting artefact: blame ratty. greengrocer's comma alert!

> Is there a diagram anywhere of how the coordinate system works? I'm
> thinking of something like
> http://commons.oreilly.com/wiki/index.php/SVG_Essentials/Transforming_the_Coordinate_System

would be nice to have something like this, yes. But *much* simpler! do i
hear a volunteer?

> Is the order of<transpose>'s within a<transposeGrp>  significant?

in the absence of any @stage (or whatever it's called) values, I'd guess
probably not, but I defer to other opinions.

> "Schema testgenetic: unchanged components" has a link to
> "att.repeatable" which is new?

hm, that's odd. (ha ha) ... i think this may be a bug in the way the
stylesheet decides which things to give in full when using the
(undocumented) feature concerned, so this is another one for the rahtzer.

> It seems odd to me that<redo/>  takes @cause by<undo/>  does not.

good point. Easy to add, once we've decided whether the pesky thing is
called @reason or @cause. Suitable values might be?