[tei-council] SVN commit messages

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Aug 25 12:44:12 EDT 2011

This is a hobby-horse of mine, so please forgive me if I've badgered you
about it before. :-)

This is a selection of commit messages from our SVN repo:

tweaks
make it valid
sigh
try again
another spurt of editing
a few typos
where stuff goes
pure cosmetics
cleaning

along with lots of instances of no message at all.

I'm not singling out anyone in particular here -- these examples come
from a variety of people, and I've been guilty of this myself -- but
when I'm coming to edit a file, I use svn log to see the recent history
and figure out what's been happening with the file. Cryptic commit
messages are really frustrating. Could we all make a bit more effort to
provide useful commit messages?

  - Explain in useful detail what you did.
  - Say why you did it.
  - Give the number(s) of SF tickets relating to the change.
  - If more work is needed or the change isn't finished, say so.

Thanks,

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)