[tei-council] <licence>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sat Aug 20 14:07:06 EDT 2011

On 11-08-20 10:09 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2011, at 18:04, Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>> [opening this discussion up to rest of council]
>>
>> But this is just one example. Do we definitely not envisage anyone
>> wanting to use this element to wrap round a bunch of text actually
>> defining a licence rather than citing one?
>>

> If you were defining a licence, I think it would be a<p>  inside<availability>, as we have now (and as many people do).
> Since<licence>  _does_ have the datable and pointable attributes, I'd argue its intention is to link to external
> licences.
>
> but  I too am happy to be to told I am entirely wrong

I think you might be wrong; I think its job is to do both (point and
contain). Its main function is to provide an easily-identifiable
location where a mechanical processor can retrieve the detailed
information about the licence(s) to be applied to a document, whether
through following @target, or through retrieving the text content of the
element (or both).