[tei-council] span span span span span span span span glorious span

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 05:20:50 EDT 2011

Some might say that these examples all indicate the confusion that
ensues when you mix the purely documentary view with the textual,
interpretive one. But just for fun, let's pretend there was some visible
way of representing the boundaries of personal names in the written
source in question. It's surely feasible that a scribe might wish to
show that they were actually referring to a single person called Mr
Holmes-Burnard? And hence, there needs to be *some* way of indicating
that the markup is being deleted as well as the content.

My preference therefore for (b) in my original opposition is based on
the purely pragmatic ground that if you really want to leave the markup
behind you can do so explicitly by supplying two deletions, as Martin
observed. Whereas if you do want to "delete the markup" as well as the
content, you can only really do so by spanning over it. (There are or
soon will be other more fiddly methods of course like <undo>, but this
is the only one we currently provide)

What worries me more about this, and which no-one has yet observed, is
the high probability of producing (or implying) an ill-formed document.
But using @spanTo is so fraught with the possibilities of
own-foot-destruction (as James has noted) that one more or less seems
less of a concern.