[tei-council] Taking on Sourceforge tickets

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 11:38:17 EDT 2011

Hi Brett

Apologies if you felt I was having a go at you personally -- I really
didn't mean to!

The purpose of the SF system is two fold. It allows people -- anyone --
to record problems that need to be fixed or discussed. And it also
serves as the "institutional memory" of the fixings that are undertaken.
When someone fills in a ticket saying "typo on page 34" they're doing
the first thing. When someone goes to subversion, checks out a file,
corrects the typo, checks the file in again, and updates the ticket to
say "I fixed the typo on page 34", they're doing the second.

Since everyone (who has the patience) is allowed to do the former, does
it follow that everyone is also allowed or required to do the latter? I
would say, probably not. Not everyone has the skill or, more
significantly, the patience to find the right file, fight with the svn
system, etc. There is more than one way of contributing to the
succesfull development of the TEI, and I would certainly not want to
require that all Council members had to be able to deal with svn as a
condition of taking up office. But equally we want to be sure that there
is more than one person on the Council with the requisite skills. In
fact, no single member of Council is well suited to do the whole job,
which is why we work collaboratively. We put effort in Chicago into
trying to increase the number of Council members able to do some of the
tasks contributing to that collaboration. This is important to ensure
continuity, surely. And, yes, the Council is now effectively the
"editorial board" in so far as there ever was such a thing.

Ack, I see Martin has just posted a much shorter and more cogent reply.
I agree with him.

Lou