[tei-council] IPR inherent in TEI markup

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 07:50:45 EDT 2011

Unfortunately, a case (which involves TEI markup) being
considered by our legal services at the moment throws this
entirely into doubt.  The GPLv2 license applies only to the
Guidelines as a publication, not the actual use of their
recommendations and the markup structures that the TEI has
invented. A clear and legally sanctioned legalese statement that
says "we don't own anything you use the TEI to mark up" would
probably be a good idea.

To answer Gaby's other question, IPR is expressable in individual
TEI customizations or extensions, and the worry might be that a
particular customization used by a sub-community might be
affected or left open to some malicious legal case.

I don't think this should be top priority (and maybe something
that should just be punted up to the Board to deal with?) but
since I had the conversation I thought I should mention it.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,