[tei-council] IPR inherent in TEI markup

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 07:05:05 EDT 2011

Not silly at all; sadly a very real concern in this day and age.

A further question, which we may want to speak to a lawyer about before
making any such addition to the license as James suggestions: Would such
a disclaimer, that we do not claim IPR in a text based on it being
marked up in TEI, leave the way open for *someone else* to make such a
claim of IPR, would could later be used against someone using TEI tags?
I know this sounds far-fetched, but again there are unscrupulous
bastards out there, and I'd want to be very sure we're not giving too
much away with such a disclaimer.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL