[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sat Jul 9 14:12:42 EDT 2011

On 11-07-09 03:55 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 09/07/11 08:06, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think this debate is interesting, and it could go on for a long time.
>> But we didn't actually get anything useful from my little poll.
>
> I think it showed that for several people the problem was not easily
> resolved by a simplistic choice between 3 options!

Fair enough, and my apologies for the paucity of options, but they were
the only ones I'd seen suggested up to that point.

> So far
>> we have (forgive me if I've misinterpreted you):
>>
>> 1. @type="transclude"      Martin M
>>
>> 2. @rend="transclude"      [possibly Sebastian]
>>
>> 3.          [nothing]      Raffaele, Laurent, Gaby, Martin H
>>
>> Additional write-in option by Sebastian:
>>
>> 4. Rewrite the exx not to use ptr at all; use XInclude instead
>>

> I would vote for this

The problem with this is that <notatedMusic> already allows <ptr>, and
we'd have to give a detailed explanation of why we were choosing the
unusual (for the Guidelines) step of invoking XInclude when <ptr> is
there to be used; and <ptr> is what Raffaele and his group chose.

The issue for me personally is that I don't agree with yours and
Sebastian's point of view on this, and at a fundamental level, I simply
don't understand it. That makes it rather difficult for me to author a
new bit for that Guidelines page justifying it. So I think at this point
I'm going to take a back seat and let those who have strong views come
to a consensus and propose a change to the FT....xml page. I think we've
already enacted what we agreed on in Chicago, and I hope we've satisfied
Raffaele and his group.