[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Raffaele Viglianti raffaele.viglianti at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 03:41:11 EDT 2011

Dear all,

Apologies for missing out on yesterday's very interesting discussion. I
am delighted to see that things are moving forward!

I'll try to clarify what I think the ptr in notatedMusic implies.
notatedMusic, we agreed, marks the presence of music notation in text;
ptr points to any electronic representation of this music. How to use of
such electronic representation is -so far- left to the user.

In my opinion, because the notation itself is actually part of the text,
when processing I would attempt to render the notation at @target and
embed the result in my HTML, epub, etc. It would be great to have an
element that makes this meaning explicit (i.e. externalObject), but now
consider this other scenario: the notation itself is part of the text,
but when processing I produce a link to its representation rather than
embedding the result.
Could ptr (without a @type) be agnostic enough to allow both scenarios?
Or does it imply exclusively the latter? If it supports both scenarios,
then it may be that we don't need a @type and leave the rendering choice
(link/embed) to the user.

Best,
Raffaele