[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jul 7 16:23:15 EDT 2011

On 11-07-07 11:02 AM, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> (I'm not sure how this matters, but some ptrs presumably point to
> internal elements or anchors in the same file?)

Of course you're right; I was thinking about pointers pointing outside
the document. But the syntax of data.pointer surely makes it explicit
whether @target is pointing outside the document or not.

On 11-07-07 11:05 AM, Martin Mueller wrote:
 > And if it doesn't, what is wrong with<ptr type="transclude"/>  as a
 > well-understood and reasonably unambiguous instruction to go go some
 > canonical object or part of it, fetch it, and embed it, as opposed to
 > linking to it.

Nothing at all is wrong with it; my question is why this is suddenly an
issue with <notatedMusic> when it's not an issue anywhere else in the
guidelines. I'm just working from Raffaele's original text, which I
amended as little as possible when including it. He says, in his
explanation of <notatedMusic>:

<q>
     ptr can be used to indicate the location of a representation of the
music notation.

     @mimeType supplies the MIME type of the data format, when available.

     [...] An external representation of the notated music is specified
using the ptr element, whose target attribute provides its
electronically-accessible location.
</q>

He doesn't make any claims about what could or should be done with the
content, whatever it is.

But if the consensus is that any <ptr> element in a guidelines example
pointing at an XML file should have @type="transclude", then I'll
certainly add it. You haven't convinced me, but I do seem to be outnumbered.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)