[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jul 6 19:04:44 EDT 2011

Hi Sebastian,

On 11-07-06 01:58 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> You've made a simple (very understandable) mistake -  you have not actually yet included the elementSpec.
> I have added&notatedMusic; at the end of the<div>  and now it works as expected. Jolly good!!

Thanks for that -- I has no idea I needed to do it. I was searching
madly for some file in which I was supposed to mention the tag name, and
finding nothing.

> Some remarks after a quick glance, of which  only the first matters:
>
>    a) the examples use the bare
>
>           <ptr target="bar1.xml"/>
>
>        content, which I have been contending for the last three weeks is the worst
>        of all worlds. Can't we at least use @type on it? Does no-one else agree
>        with my unhappiness on that?

I am on the other side of the fence from you on this, but that's not why
I didn't include it; I just don't know what the consensus is about which
way to go with this, and I didn't want to make that scale of change to
Raffaele's original documentation without a sense that it was generally
supported. Personally I don't think it's necessary, because I think it's
up to the processing agent to decide what to do with the
externally-linked file. If we do provide examples using e.g.
@type="transclude", we'll have to explain exactly what we mean by that,
and suggest alternative possible values that don't mean transclusion;
and I don't know what they might be.

>    b) constructs like '<ref target="#notatedMusic">notatedMusic</ref>  element'
>      are not idiomatic in the Guidelines. Simple<gi>notatedMusic</gi>  has the
>      effect you want (and more), and does not rely on assumptions about output processing

I found a bunch of those and changed them, but I guess I missed some.
Now fixed.

>    c) something bothersome about both the use of<label>  ("contains the label associated with an item in a list;
>    in glossaries, marks the term being defined") here:
>
> <figure>
> 	<notatedMusic>
>           <ptr target="example_schubert.xml"/>
>        </notatedMusic>
>     </figure>

I noticed that too, but I wasn't sure what it might be replaced with.
Perhaps it should be in a <figDesc>, outside the <head>. What do others
think?

> Sebastian Rahtz
> Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services
>
> Sólo le pido a Dios
> que el futuro no me sea indiferente

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)