[tei-council] support for P4

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 05:04:02 EDT 2011

On 14/06/11 09:53, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2011, at 09:46, Laurent Romary wrote:
>> We need to discuss what we mean by deprecating P4:
>> - we should do our best to prevent such bundling as you mention
>> - we need to keep P4 information on our web site
>> What would you suggest?
> What you say there, really. Ask people to stop including P4 as a first class citizen
> in bundles; leave all files in the same place on the web site for the foreseeable
> future; rewrite the top-level web pages to make it harder to find P4; stop Google indexing
> P4 Guidelines.
> So people who use P4 now will not be disadvantaged, but new people will not find it by mistake
> the question to my mind is whether this is premature, or whether we should start planning to do this
> at the end of 2011

Could I suggest that the appropriate time to have a de-emphasis
of TEI P4 is in November 2011.  I suggest this because that is
exactly one calendar year before we stop support for P4.  We
promised 5 years ongoing support for TEI P4 from November 2007.
In November 2011 we could de-emphasize it by doing the following
things as Sebastian suggests:

- Freeze any support of it except major bugs (if we've not done
this already)
- Demote its visibility in the TEI-C Website
- Change the robots.txt to encourage search engines to forget
about it.
- Remind people that they have a year to stop using it.

In November 2012 I'd suggest that it appears only in the Vault
and that the TEI Guidelines page not have any mention of it. (As
it has no mention of other versions like TEI P3, but does have a
link to the TEI Archive which contains them).

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,