[tei-council] building a robust and flexible platform for the collaborative exploration and curation of TEI data?

stuart yeates stuart.yeates at vuw.ac.nz
Thu May 12 17:16:32 EDT 2011

While I have many minor quibbles with Martin's post, I'd like to step
back and make three observations and suggest two constructive steps.

Observations:

(1) I believe pretty much every member of the TEI community agrees with
him, at least in principal.

(2) If we are to launch such an initiative, I believe we need to make
it, from the outset, as attractive to multiple resourcing streams as
possible (JISC-type central funders; individual contributions from
humanities researchers; library consortia; computer scientists looking
for interesting problems; etc).

(3) From a software engineering point of view, it seems vanishingly
unlikely that we can build such a thing from scratch, even in the most
benevolent funding environment imaginable.

Constructive steps:

(A) Survey, across all the disciplines that the TEI supports, what
people's priorities are, what tools they are using and where they get
their funding from. [Some carefully survey design will be needed to
avoid people ranking everything as 'must haves']

(B) Build a list of tools that people are already using, what they're
using them for and what formats those tools support.

 From there, we can make intelligent decisions about which tools to
build a framework on.

cheers
stuart