[tei-council] Fwd: draft minutes from chicago

Laurent Romary laurent.romary at inria.fr
Tue Apr 19 08:29:15 EDT 2011

Le 19 avr. 2011 à 13:44, Lou Burnard a écrit :

> On 18/04/11 00:52, Martin Holmes wrote:
>
>> Group A2 (<document>):
>>
>> I think Brett's suggestion of<diploma>  instead of<document>  as a less
>> confusing element name should be included here. It was discussed
>> initially outside the formal meeting, but mentioned on the last morning.
>> The idea was that<diploma>  better represents what is intended by this
>> new element, and is less likely to mislead novice users, who might have
>> difficulty deciding between<document>  and<text>.
>>

> I remember Brett's suggestion (and have now added it to the minutes),
> but I don't remember it being discussed in any detail. If it had been, I
> think I would have argued against it. To those who are aware of its
> specific sense in the etymology of "diplomatics" it would indeed be an
> ideal choice, but (a) I think the general sense of the word now is as a
> synonym for "certificate" (b) it does suggest something on paper or
> vellum rather than card stone wax tablet etc. which can't be folded!

I remember Brett's discussion but agree with Lou reluctance. Documenting the proposal in the minutes is importnt for recording the possible directions we explored.

>> I thought I remembered<item>  being mooted for inclusion in att.sortable
>> -- am I wrong? If it's not to be included, perhaps the reason for
>> excluding it should go into the minutes.
>
> My recollection is that we felt <item> should NOT be included, which is
> why I didn't mention it in the minutes

Exactly, and we should maybe mention this in the minutes (i.e. that we did NOT include it, for the reasons of list being both too generic objects, I think)