[tei-council] Project Gutenberg

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 11:44:11 EDT 2011

On 18/04/11 13:47, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> Wouldn't their use of an ODD also mean that if they regenerate their
> schema periodically, they will pick up on refinements to the content
> model of elements made by the TEI?  For example, if they use<bibl>  in
> their customization, they would be able to use nested bibls once they
> regenerate due to the recent wise decision of Council.
>
> (If not, then I entirely misunderstand the TEI's customization mechanism!)

Hi Kevin,

The answer is, predictably, "it depends".  In this case, it would
depend if they defined their ODD by inclusion or exclusion.  The
older style (exclusion) meant that you said 'give me module A,
and from it delete element X, Y, and attribute class Z'. Newer
ODDs are able also to do the reverse (inclusion) which means they
can say 'from module A give me element B, C, and attribute class
D'.

In the former case, when TEI adds new elements(etc.) and the
project regenerates their schema, they will then get these new
elements because they've not chosen to delete them.  In the
latter case they will not get these elements because they've not
chosen to include them.

If you always want to get the latest and greatest additions to
the TEI, then choosing an ODD by exclusion makes sense. If you
want to have a very static ODD where only things change when the
elements you use are changed, then choosing and ODD by inclusion
makes sense.

Another example of the TEI giving you multiple ways to do things
and this being useful and powerful. ;-)

-james

> On 4/18/2011 1:04 AM, Laurent Romary wrote:
>> The idea would be to have a way to make those projects maintain their schema in a way which is closer to what the TEI itself does. They could even maintain these on SF. By helping them going this way, we would go in the direction indicated by Martin M. in his talk last week.
>>
>> Le 18 avr. 2011 à 00:25, Lou Burnard a écrit :
>>
>>> We did have quite a bit of discussion with Marcello back in 2006 or 2007
>>> or so, but I haven't heard much from them lately.
>>>
>>> Re-expressing their subset of TEI as an ODD would be a fairly trivial
>>> exercise, but I'm not sure what it would achieve.

>>> PLEASE NOTE: postings to this list are publicly archived
>>
>> Laurent Romary
>> INRIA&   HUB-IDSL
>> laurent.romary at inria.fr

Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,