[tei-council] Bug 3064182

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 18:25:51 EDT 2011

In looking at Bug 3064182 where I promised to go through all those
attributes who use xsd:anyURI to see where we unnecessarily say that the
attribute needs to point 'in the document' and similar prose restrictions.

I've started with those that are data.pointer (After putting in another
bug that data.code really shouldn't be xsd:anyURI). The change to
xsd:anyURI means they can easily point externally to the document, but
often for legacy reasons we specify in the document, or a specific
element.  This might not be desired in all cases, but in many cases one
could make a use-case argument for storing whatever information is being
pointed at in an external document.

In some cases the Guidelines specify that the element pointed at *must*
be X. I'd like to suggest that it is more flexible if in some of these
cases we introduce the possibility of pointing elsewhere.  In many cases
in the guidelines we say that an attribute 'typically' points somewhere
as a way to not limit ourselves so closely.  If we look at locus/@scheme
it says "A pointer to some foliation element which defines the foliation
scheme used, or an external link to some equivalent resource." and that
seems like a good degree of flexibility in 'some equivalent resource'
that we can use elsewhere.

Below I ask some questions of specific instances where there are changes
in the specification of class and element provision of data.pointer.
After I get some input on these I'll go through every single element
that is a member of these classes and check the prose of the Guidelines
where they are described as well.

Classes:

att.ascribed/@who
Value note says "For transcribed speech, this will typically identify a
participant or participant group; in other contexts, it will point to
any identified person element."
- Query: While a person element is preferred surely we should allow
pointing to other non-person-element sources of information. (e.g. a
controlled vocabulary URI, a linked data URI, a wikipedia article)?
Recommendation: Add 'typically' before 'it will point to'

att.canonical/@ref
Value note says: "The value must point directly to one or more XML
elements by means of one or more URIs, separated by whitespace. If more
than one is supplied, the implication is that the name identifies
several distinct entities."
- Query: Is it a requirement that this point to an XML element? Again,
author/@ref might point to all sorts of URIs? Like, for example, name
authority files, wikipedia, etc.

att.damaged/@hand
Value note says: "must be one of the hand identifiers declared in the
document header"
- Query: Could be a hand identifier in another document, or other remote
information documenting this hand.
Recommendation: Add 'typically' before 'declared'

att.editLike/@source
Value note says: "A space-delimited series of sigla; each sigil should
correspond to a witness or witness group and occur as the value of the
xml:id attribute on a witness or msDesc element elsewhere in the document."
- Query: Like hands, witnesses could profitably be documented in
separate files.
Recommendation: Rephrase to say "A space-delimited series of URIs
pointing to a description of the source, typically the @xml:id of a
witness or msDesc element"

att.global/@rendition
Desc note says: "Each URI provided should indicate a rendition element
defining the intended rendition in terms of some appropriate style
language, as indicated by the scheme attribute."
- Query: is it a requirement that this attribute only point to rendition
elements rather than potentially other web resources that provide
rendition information?

att.lexicographic/@location
Desc and value notes say: 'elsewhere in the document' and 'elsewhere in
the current document'
Recommendation: add 'or an external file'

att.naming/@nymRef
Notes specify: "The value must point directly to one or more XML
elements by means of one or more URIs, separated by whitespace. "
- Query: Should this only be limited to XML elements? I.e. What about
other URI-based resources that document the canonical format of the name.
Recommendation: rephrase as 'point directly to one or more records of
canonical format of names, typically a nym element in this document or
an external file.'

att.rdgPart/@wit
Spec says: "A space-delimited series of sigla; each sigil should
correspond to a witness or witness group and occur as the value of the
xml:id attribute on a witness element elsewhere in the document."
Recommendation: rephrase as att.editLike/@source above.

att.responsibility/@resp
Spec says: "A pointer to an element in the document header that is
associated with a person asserted as responsible for some aspect of the
text's creation, transcription, editing, or encoding."
Recommendation: rephrase start as "A pointer to a description of the
person asserted as responsible for [...] encoding, typically in the
document header".

att.textCritical/@wit
Spec says: "A space-delimited series of sigla; each sigil should
correspond to a witness or witness group and occur as the value of the
xml:id attribute on a witness element elsewhere in the document."
Recommendation: rephrase in line with att.rdgPart/@wit and
att.editLike/@source above.  (And one day find a solution to make these
all part of the same class...)

att.textCritical/@hand
Spec says: "must be one of the hand identifiers declared in the document
header"
Recommendation: Rephrase as "Points to documentation of the hand
responsible, typically a <handNote> in the document header.

att.transcriptional/@hand
Spec says: "must refer to a handNote element, typically declared in the
document header"
Recommendation  rephrase as att.textCritical/@hand above to remove the
requirement that this necessarily be a handNote element.

alt/@targets (deprecated)
Spec says: "Each value specified must be the same as that specified as
value for an xml:id attribute for some other element in the current
document."
Recommendation: add 'or an external resource'

Elements:
app/@to
Spec says: "This attribute is only used when the double-end point method
of apparatus markup is used, with the encoded apparatus held in a
separate file rather than being embedded in-line in the base-text file."
- Query: In the reverse of what I'm saying elsewhere this presumably
could be in a separate location but in the same file?
Recommendation: rephrase to 'typically held'

event/@place
Spec says: "indicates the location of an event by pointing to a place
element"
- Query: Only a place element? Other use-cases might be to point to
other URI-based resources which aren't places, e.g. wikipedia article on
the place. Obviously, a place element is preferred.
Recommendation: rephrase 'by pointing to a definition of the place,
typically a place element'.

gap/@hand
Spec says: "must be one of the hand identifiers declared in the document
header"
- Query: If we c.f. handShift/@new it says "must refer to a handNote
element, typically declared in the document header"
Recommendation: add ', typically' or rephrase as a

gloss/@cRef
Spec says: "should be a valid URI reference that resolves to a term element"
- Query: Similarly, this could point to a dictionary entry at the end of
other URIs.
Recommendation: 'that typically resolves'

nym/@parts
Spec says: "1–100 occurrences of data.pointer separated by whitespace"
- Query: Many other elements have 1-infinity...why is this one so
limited? (Ok, who has over 100 name parts but still seems arbitrary...)

occupation/@scheme and occupation/@code and socecStatus/@scheme and
socecStatus/@code
"must identify a taxonomy element" and "must category a taxonomy element"
- Query: Are these necessarily 'musts'? It strikes me that
occupation/@code and similar could point to other XML resources online
that detail the occupation or similar.

respons/@resp
Spec says: "a pointer to one of the identifiers declared in the document
header, associated with a person asserted as responsible for some aspect
of the text's creation, transcription, editing, or encoding"
Recommendation: rephrase as att.responsibility/@resp

space/@resp
Spec says "a pointer to one of the identifiers declared in the document
header, associated with a person asserted as responsible for some aspect
of the text's creation, transcription, editing, or encoding"
Recommendation: rephrase as att.responsibility/@resp

tagUsage/@render
Spec says: "an identifier specified as the value of the xml:id attribute
on some rendition element in the current document."
Recommendation: 'typically on some'

term/@cRef
BUG NOTE: At
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-term.html the
french values note appears as well.
Spec says: "the result of applying the algorithm for the resolution of
canonical references (described in section 16.2.5 Canonical References)
should be a valid URI reference that resolves to a gloss element"
- Query: Do we want this to only ever point to gloss elements?

unclear/@hand
Spec says: "must be one of the hand identifiers declared in the document
header"
Recommendation: rephrase as per att.textCritical/@hand above

I realise some of those are straightforward and some of those we
probably don't want to change. I thought before starting that these
would be simple adding the word 'typically' where it says 'in the
document', and that is true of some of these, but not all. The others
you can tell me I'm being ridiculous about.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,
OUCS, University of Oxford