[tei-council] captcha for the wiki?

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Fri Mar 11 08:31:59 EST 2011

I hope this may qualify as a topic for the Council, since this a) may
affect the external perception of the wiki and the TEI, and b) currently
affects the productivity of at least two Council members ([1], [2]), and
the fix doesn't seem difficult.

Spambot technology is getting better and better and we get more and more
quasi-intelligent spam in the wiki. A long while ago, James and I
discussed the possibility of having a captcha system installed in the
wiki[3], but nothing came out of that. Maybe now is the time. The wiki
has the relevant hooks, so it seems only a matter of putting those hooks
in action.

I mean a captcha for when you create an account, not for individual
edits. Spambots are just good at creating accounts.

Best,

  Piotr

[1] http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Special:Log/block
[2] http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Special:Log/delete