[tei-council] TEI P5 1.9.0

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Wed Feb 16 12:45:35 EST 2011

On 2011-02-16 14:11, Lou Burnard wrote:
> I see absolutely no reason why you (Piotr) shouldn't have svn permissions.

Thanks.

> Could you give some examples of the kinds of error you've identified in
> chap 9 (dictionaries)? It has been checked a couple of times by
> preceding council members.

Ah, previously, I just registered that some elements of the prose struck
me as strange, without classifying them. They aren't typos, well, maybe
the middle one might qualify, for some.

Looking at the intro in the latest build now, I can see stuff that is
largely stylistic, and to my non-native ear, the last one qualifies as
rather bad style.

1. "more compromises and alternatives within the encoding scheme may be
required in future"

"in the future" seems more popular, but I wouldn't touch the sentence.

2. "to account for the wide variety of linguistic context"

"contexts" would sound more natural to me, I'd probably be tempted to
add the "s" just to avoid tickets from people pointing it out as a
mistake. Unless "context" is heavily used as uncountable in other places
in the Guidelines.

3. "we have tried to retain the original typographic appearance of the
example as well as presenting a suggested encoding for it."

Either align the forms (presenting --> (to) present) or do something
about the "as well as" (--> "while" AND/OR "at the same time" ?).

So indeed, not being so sure of my judgements here, I'd probably ask
Kevin for help (his Helmet is Blessed, which makes it +5).

  P.