[tei-council] access to current builds of TEI P5

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Thu Jan 27 16:40:03 EST 2011

On 1/27/2011 4:01 PM, stuart yeates wrote:
> On 28/01/11 08:21, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>
>> I believe that Lou once told me there was an intentional decision not to
>> give out access too widely to limit the number of people who might
>> accidentally mess things up.  I'm not saying we shouldn't change
>> policies (especially since we're hearing that Oxford won't continue to
>> contribute editorial services much longer), but there should be some
>> consideration here.  Are you thinking of limiting access to currently
>> serving Council members or really opening it up to anyone who asks?
>
> The entire point of version control is that if someone makes an oops,
> it's isolated and can be rolled-back / routed around / ignored / tracked
> to it's source.

Yes, but the TEI isn't a true open-source project in that decisions
about development of the Guidelines are made by Council, not by any old
volunteer who decides that, say, <cell> should allow <p> as a child.
Perhaps this should change, but I believe that's been the policy since
the formation of the TEI-C.

No one told me I was ever granted access, but it's good to know I have
it should I need it!